The ATHENA Leadership Award® Program
Supporting, Honoring and Developing Women Leaders
The ATHENA Leadership Award® was inspired by the goddess of Greek mythology known for her strength, courage, wisdom and enlightenment—qualities embodied in the ATHENA Leadership Model®. The Award is unique in both scope---local, national and international---and the ATHENA mission upon which it is based. The ATHENA Leadership Award® is presented to a woman ---or man--- who is honored for professional excellence, community service and for actively assisting women in their attainment of professional excellence and leadership skills.
Since the program’s inception in 1982, nearly 6,000 exemplary leaders in over 500 communities have received the prestigious ATHENA Award in the United States, Bermuda, Canada, China, Greece, India, Russia, Unite Arab Emirates and United Kingdom. By honoring exceptional leaders, the ATHENA Leadership Award® Program seeks to inspire others to achieve excellence in their professional and personal lives.
The ATHENA Leadership Award® is presented annually by chambers of commerce, women’s organizations and universities. The award is established through local host organizations in partnership with ATHENA International’s national underwriters, local businesses and individual sponsors.
Nominations are solicited and an ATHENA sculpture is awarded to an individual in the community who meets specific criteria listed below.
The ATHENA Leadership Award® Criteria
ATHENA Leadership Award® Recipients are individuals who:
- Have achieved the highest level of
- Contribute time and energy to
improve the quality of life for others in the
- Actively assist others, particularly
women, in realizing their full leadership potential.
Involvement with the ATHENA Leadership Award® Program benefits your organization and your community.
- Your organization and community provide an environment where women’s accomplishments and contributions are valued.
- Recognizing outstanding individuals in your community clearly defines role models for others to emulate.
- Affiliation with an international network of women and men who work together to create leadership opportunities for women encourages the empowerment of women leaders.
- Sizable attendance at award events by community and business leaders promotes positive relations and networking opportunities.
- Substantial media coverage results in exposure for sponsoring businesses and organizations.